I too have had some struggles with this concept.

I now tend to think of "Basic", "Reinforced" and "Double" more in terms of an
insulation strength as opposed to an actual material.  For instance, "Double"
insulation can be provided by a properly set and maintained distance through
air, i.e no material at all.  You could also call this a "Reinforced"
insulation, since it is made up of one layer of air "reinforced" by more air.

Of course, there are certain rules that the standards apply if you do use an
actual insulator to provide "Basic", "Reinforced" and/or "Double" insulation.
These rules mostly dictate that:
a.   The insulation be strong enough to provide the required insulation
strength.
b.  The insulation can withstand the temperatures to be expected in the product.
c.  The insulation is thick enough or constructed with enough layers to prevent
an accidental breach from either a pinhole or a void.
d.  The insulation won't change its properties in the presence of humidity.
(No plywood insulation!!!  :-) )
e.  The insulation won't wear off, crack, peel or abrade under reasonably
foreseeable circumstances.

What I'm saying is...call the insulation whatever you want.  Just make sure
that it works.

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |