Hi John:

>   Thank you for that and the rest of the information, which could prove to
>   be very helpful indeed. I would like to use it in my continuing efforts
>   to defuse the arguments between the former TC74 experts in TC108 and the
>   SC77A/WG1 people. May I say that the information came from you
>   (personally, of course, not from HP)?

Fluke has a good explanation of the deleterious
effects of harmonics.  See:

    http://www.fluke.com/ElectricPower/elec.asp

Click on "Application Notes."  This will take you
to a registration page which you must complete
before you can get to the App Note.

After registering, click on "In tune with harmonics."

This App Note covers a number of effects of
harmonic currents that I have not discussed.

Best regards,
Rich