I read in !emc-pstc that Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> wrote
(in <0h9j008afer...@mtaout03.icomcast.net>) about 'Unity Power Factor'
on Thu, 30 Jan 2003:
>Yes I am in the US so clearly I must have been mistaken.  Seriously, when
>that business started in 1989 there were relatively few PCs in use there.
>"PC cubes" were  scattered throughout the building that people could use on
>an as-needed basis.  By 1995, every engineer's cube had a PC running all day
>long.

Yes, a similar thing happened in Europe. It was this *rapid* expansion
of PC deployment that frightened the European electricity suppliers.
They coped earlier with the far more gradual development of the TV park,
first persuading the TV manufacturers to give up half-wave rectifiers
and subsequently to control the harmonic emissions of very large sets.

They extrapolated the effects of the rapid expansion of PCs (and
simultaneous use of more than one TV per household) and deduced that
widespread system failures would occur in a few (5?) years (counting
>from about 1989) if the emissions remained controlled only by the Class
A limits of IEC/EN60555-2. Hence the invention of 'Class D' and all the
ensuing grief. It has now been shown pretty convincingly that the
extrapolations were very pessimistic. The latest European supply
industry predictions, based on voltage distortion growth levels of the
past decade of 0.1% absolute per year (by 'absolute', I mean a growth
from, say, 4% to 4.1% at a a particular site, not from 4% to 100.1% of
4%!), is that unacceptable levels of supply disturbance will occur in 10
years time. However, there are several reasons why that 0.1% growth rate
will not be maintained over that time period, not least the effect of
IEC/EN 61000-3-2 itself, which will not be reliably measurable, in
Europe, until 2005 at the earliest.

> It would have been interesting, in retrospect, to have taken line
>voltage oscillographs at representative locations as the PC density
>increased.

Yes, it would have. I have about a 20 year gap in observations of the
mains waveform here in UK, from about 1971 to 1991, when I heard about
Class D and started to study the subject closely. During that time, the
flat tops developed.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!