From: ext Tyra, John [mailto:john_t...@bose.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 1:39 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: EU Language requirements for Manuals

Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone out there could help me determine what are the language
requirements for translation of manuals for the CE-Mark.

As I am sure most of you know Bose makes Audio/Video products. Our products
fall under the LVD, EMC, and for wireless remotes the RTTE Directives.

I have read each of these Directives and associated standards, IEC60065 etc.,
and could only find reference that the Safety Related instructions must be
translated into the language acceptable in the country of sale.

We have had some of our European contacts claim that there are Local laws in
some EU countries which require the complete users and possibly service
manuals to be translated into the appropriate language for the country of sale.

Can any one advise me:

1. If any EU country requires the complete manual to be translated into the
acceptable language
2. If there are such requirements in some of the EU countries does anyone know
which countries impose these extra requirements?

3. Anyone know of a resource where this information is available??

Thanks in advance for your help.........

Best regards,

John

John Tyra
Product Safety and Regulatory Compliance Manager

Bose Corporation
The Mountain, MS-450
Framingham, MA 01701-9168
Phone: 508-766-1502