From: ext Stephen Irving [mailto:sirv...@lutron.com]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 4:55 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org; gera...@zoom.com
Cc: Bob Spehalski
Subject: RE: EU Language requirements for Manuals

I am involved in a similar language project. Like Gerald, I am finding that
these rules come from governmental legislation (not just from project
standards or EU directives).

Legislation is often more difficult to track down than standards, and I
believe it would be useful to most people on this list if we were to begin to
establish a list of known requirements.

Is anyone aware of similar language requirements elsewhere in the world?

In the Canadian Provence of Quebec, just about all product literature is
required to be in French. This requirement comes from the Charter of the
French Language, and is available online at
http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/english/charter/title1chapter7.html.

Best regards,
Steve

>>> Gerald Tammi <gera...@zoom.com> 5/1/2003 9:51:33 AM >>>

I have just gone through a major project as it applies to language.

The EU directives only require that the manuals (user and service) and the DoC
be in an official language of the EU (13 possibilities).  However it gives the
local countries the authority to impose additional if not contradictive
regulations.  As a compromise, there is an informal brief DoC in thirteen
languages that can be inserted in the manual that will cover most
circumstances.

In the case of Spain, they require that the user and service manuals be
printed in the official language of Spain (Castilian).  The also require that
there be an official full signed printed DoC in Castilian be in the manual.
If not the manufacture or importer of the product can be fined.  This
requirement is not in any EU document, but is buried in the rules and
regulations under royal decree (be prepare it is available only in Spanish).
I had to read a total of about 1200 pages of Spanish law to find the
regulations

I have not yet come up with any other country regulations regarding specific
language requirements