Gerald, is the Spanish requirement for a particular directive? Which one(s)?

Richard Woods
Sensormatic Electronics
Tyco International

From: Gerald Tammi [mailto:gera...@zoom.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 9:52 AM
To: 'ext-dave.wil...@nokia.com'; john_t...@bose.com;
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: EU Language requirements for Manuals

I have just gone through a major project as it applies to language.

The EU directives only require that the manuals (user and service) and the DoC
be in an official language of the EU (13 possibilities).  However it gives the
local countries the authority to impose additional if not contradictive
regulations.  As a compromise, there is an informal brief DoC in thirteen
languages that can be inserted in the manual that will cover most
circumstances.

In the case of Spain, they require that the user and service manuals be
printed in the official language of Spain (Castilian).  The also require that
there be an official full signed printed DoC in Castilian be in the manual.
If not the manufacture or importer of the product can be fined.  This
requirement is not in any EU document, but is buried in the rules and
regulations under royal decree (be prepare it is available only in Spanish).
I had to read a total of about 1200 pages of Spanish law to find the
regulations

I have not yet come up with any other country regulations regarding specific
language requirements.