From: Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 3:35 PM
To: Cortland Richmond; ieee pstc list
Subject: Re: pulse modulation in reverb chambers

That mostly makes sense, except I'm not sure about this part:

"I'd expect a pulse to excite many modes within a chamber as long as either
its length or its transition times are shorter than the time it takes a wave
to travel across the chamber and back. That'll smear the pulse."

My thinking is just the opposite.  The duration of the pulse should be long
relative to the time it takes to travel from transmit to receive antennas.
Then there is no smearing.

I also recall work using network analyzers and time windowing to
electronically create an anechoic chamber out of an unlined screen room.

> From: Cortland Richmond <72146....@compuserve.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:44:20 -0400
> To: Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>, ieee pstc list
> <emc-p...@ieee.org>
> Subject: Re: pulse modulation in reverb chambers
>
> Ken,
>
> A recent article on reverberant chambers mentions a Q of 83,000 or so.
> I'd expect a pulse to excite many modes within a chamber as long as
> either its length or its transition times are shorter than the time it
> takes a wave to travel across the chamber and back. That'll smear the
> pulse. On the other hand the FIRST pulse received shouldn't be smeared
> unless the pulse is longer than the time it takes a reflected wave to
> arrive at the antenna. If I recall correctly, there've been some
> papers on time gating to take advantage of this.
>
> Cortland

This message is from the IEEE EMC Society Product Safety Technical Committee
emc-pstc discussion list.

Archive is being moved, we will announce when it is back on-line. All
emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at: