You are referring to a Shunt Trip circuit breaker.  These circuit breakers
have an additional mechanism that will trip the actuator.  The shunt trip
mechanism is activated by a switch closure.  It does not degrade the normal
trip mechanism or contacts of the circuit breaker.  The shunt trip circuit
breakers are a preferred method for remotely triggering a circuit breaker.
It is much safer than shorting the phases.

The red buttons are commonly known as Emergency Power Off (EPO) buttons and
they are required by many electrical codes for specified applications.
They are typically used where there are life safety issues.  It allows you
to shut down all of the equipment in an area making it safe for emergency
responders.  If you were a fireman, would you want to enter a room with
hazardous voltages and hazardous moving machinery?

Many people hate the EPO buttons because they provide a single point of
failure.  An accidental activation of the EPO can shut down your equipment,
which can be expensive for large manufacturing facilities or computer data
centers.  In these cases, you want an EPO that is designed to be easy to
activate in an emergency and hard to activate by accident.  Manufacturing
locations typically use a version that shuts down just one piece of
machinery, known as an Emergency Stop, or E-Stop button.  These buttons
need to be located such that the operator can easily reach them, especially
if the operator becomes entangled in the machinery.

Ted Eckert
American Power Conversion Corporation

The items contained in this e-mail reflect the personal opinions of the
writer and are only provided for the assistance of the reader. The writer
is not speaking in an official capacity for APC nor representing APC's
official position on any matter.

             "Kunde, Brian"
             <brian_kunde@leco
             tc.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  <EMC-PSTC@listserv.ieee.org>
             emc-p...@ieee.org                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/05/2006 02:46          RE: shorting the mains prohibited -
             PM                        Help

Instead of shorting the AC Mains, have you considered using a breaker
with a trip coil? We used one in a product where as a safety measure, if
something bad happened, we wanted to cut power to the entire machine.
All we had to do is short out a set of contacts which powered up the
trip coil to trip the mains breaker and all power was shut down.

Going a different way, in my shop class in High School there were these
boxes with big red buttons hanging from cords from the ceiling all over
the shop. If you pushed any one of the red buttons, the power to the
entire shop would go off shutting down all the machines. Someone said
that when you pushed the red buttons, that it shorted out the AC and
popped the breaker for the entire room. Is that really how that was
done?

Yet another story from my past.  I know an electrician who if he is
going to work on a receptacle, he just takes a piece of wire and shoves
it in the receptacle to deliberately pop the circuit breaker. He says it
is faster than switching the breakers off and on one at a time till you
find the right one. That can't be good for the breaker, right?

The other Brian.