Hi Greg:

The issue is not that of shorting the mains.

Rather, the issue is the deliberate operation
of a fuse by creating a short-circuit.

As a general rule, a fuse operates in the event
of a circuit fault.  A fuse is not intended to
operate under normal operating conditions.

In anticipating this overtemperature condition,
the circuit is essentially considering such a
situation to be a normal condition, not a fault
condition.  Kinda like a paper jam in a copier.

A circuit design should not deliberately create
a fault so as to operate a fuse.  In doing so,
the fuse is now being called upon to operate
under a normal operating condition because the
introduction of a short-circuit in this case
is taken as a normal condition by the circuit.
In addition, the same fuse is called upon to
operate in the event of a fault.

The problem now becomes one of selecting a
single fuse value (rating) that will operate
both under the deliberate fault and under any
other unanticipated fault.

Since the circuit can detect the overtemperature
condition, then a circuit can easily be designed
to shut off power through the use of a triac or
similar device.  This presumes the system can be
re-set, and the overtemperature condition is not
a permanent failure.

Better still, use a thermal cutout instead of the
fuse.  A thermal cutout is a true safeguard and is
intended for this sort of situation.

Best regards,
Rich