I agree that solar power is limited on the earth's surface. The only way
to get large amounts of energy from the sun is to go into outer space.
The problem then is how to capture the energy and transport it to the
surface?

Solar panels can be placed in areas that are unfavorable for growing
food, such as deserts.

The commodities market is very fickle. The raise in corn prices will
adjust in a few years as supply and demand is balanced out. I think the
ethanol gold rush has come and gone anyway. Currently, corn futures in
the US are high because of the wet spring has delayed planting. A bumper
crop of winter wheat has driven the price of wheat futures way down. So
farmers will plant more corn next year which will drive corn prices
down. It all works out.

I disagree with those who think "ethanol is every bit as harmful to the
environment as petroleum based fuels".  The CO2 given off by bio-fuels
came from the air to begin with and when it is burned the CO2 is simply
returned to the air, so bio-fuels have no affect on the environment.
However, the CO2 given off by burning fossil fuels are taken from the
ground and adds to the CO2 already in the air and that is only a problem
if you believe the .01% increase in CO2 in our atmosphere is going to
destroy our planet. I think it is only going to make things grow better
which will increase corn yields and drive prices down.

How does this topic relate to our jobs other than we are engineers and
scientists?  I recently read a news story about a guy who claims he can
"burn seawater" using RF and he believes this technology could be a
future fuel source. The man is a ham radio operator with no science or
engineering background, but after showing a video of his experiment he
is getting millions of dollars in research grant money to continue work.
I wish I could figure out how to get some of that money.

This is a Fun topic. A nice distraction from my boring life in the EMC
lab. Excuse me while I try to blow up a power supply with Surge.

The Other Brian