Ernie:

Yes, conductive paints are best reserved for when other factors dictate their
use. Adhesion is tricky, the paint provides no gap-filling effect, and
mechanical wear is a problem too.

The first question to answer is how often the customer will need to open and
close the mating surfaces. If the box gets sealed and never touched, you could
get good performance from just aluminum foil taping the seams after mating.
OTOH, if this is a cover that opens several times a day, they you need to use
something mechanically robust, like BeCu fingerstock or a braided gasket

I would try to use a conductive chemical treatment first. Most or our
enclosures are aluminum, so a conductive chem-film treatment is our
preference. You mentioned rust, so I assume the enclosure is steel. For a
steel box, you could simply tin the mating surfaces and use a knit mesh braid
gasket. Very old-school! You could also fabricate the enclosure from
galvanized plated steel.

If all you want to do is fix the existing one field enclosure, then there are
conductive plating solutions (silver and other), that you can apply to the
mating surfaces.

Ed Price

ed.pr...@cubic.com <blocked::mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com>      WB6WSN

NARTE Certified EMC Engineer

Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab

Cubic Defense Applications

San Diego, CA  USA

858-505-2780

Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>