Contrasting your story. I used to work at a safety testing laboratory
and one of my clients came in with his product that incorporated a
custom designed power supply. I told him that the custom supply would
add considerable cost and time to the certification project and asked
him why he did not use an off the shelf recognized supply that would
eliminate the need for the expensive evaluation and testing. He said
that they were trying to keep the total product cost below $200 and
the off the shelf supply pushed them over by $0.20. I then told him
that the additional testing would cost him several thousand dollars,
and asked him how many units they intended to manufacture to which he
replied that they were making less than 500 units. When I pointed out
that the certified supply would add only $100 to the production run vs
several thousand for the additional testing he said that he did not
care as compliance costs came from a different budget and were not
considered in the total product cost.

Kevin Robinson

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>