Anyone who has done this work more than a few years knows the liturgy; it starts with cost, moves to expense and ends with failure.

I might be one of the EMC engineers you describe, because truly, following very simple design principles costs little, done at the outset, and averts much. But that is often overlooked.

Why did a board layout route ALL the data and address lines all the way around a processor? The factory wanted all pin 1's in the same direction to better control wave soldering, or so they said.

Why was a hard-drive cable run RIGHT across a chassis opening for its not-installed mate? Because it would disrupt production to rearrange wires on spools at each assembler's workspace.

Why did I have to argue two hours with a mechanical engineering VP to get parts of a chassis to touch? Because an interference fit is mechanical blasphemy, tooling for the progressive die would have to be modified, and someone was sold on a "labyrinth" stopping EMI from getting out.

Why did another company spend near half a million dollars testing and retesting equipment at an outside house when it already had enough equipment for pre-tests? Because there was no budget for the engineers who should have done it.

I could go on, but I don't need to. Not here. We all know some sorry story of cost cutters who ruin budgets by overruling engineers. And you can't fool physics.

Aunt Enna: "Johnny! You put that electron back before it screams for its mother!"

That'll do, for a start.

Cortland Richmond