Dear Colleagues,

I know that you are all patient with what might seem silly questions, so I hope
you'll be patient with mine.

I have not had to consider the Machinery Directive before, but a new electrical
product has a moving part in it.  It's a wholly enclosed (inaccessible in the
middle of the equipment) fan that blows air through the equipment (not a
cooling fan).

The MD defines machinery: " an assembly, fitted with or intended to be fitted
with a drive system... consisting of... components, at least one of which
moves, and which are joined together for a specific application".

So the silly question is, if the moving part is wholly contained within the
equipment and is inaccessible, does the MD apply or do I apply the LVD?

I have Googled this question and have found references that say the MD does
apply (it's the enclosure that makes the moving part safe), and references that
say the MD does not apply (as the moving part is wholly internal, one doesn't
need to even consider it).  I strongly suspect the former statement is the
correct one.

Your authoritative opinions are sought!

With thanks in anticipation,

Mark

--
Mark Hone
HESS Manager

Wellman Defence Limited
Dolphin House
Williams Road
Portsmouth
Hampshire
PO3 5FP

T: +44 (0)23 9262 9239
F: +44 (0)23 9269 7864
E: mh...@wellmandefence.co.uk
W: www.wellmandefence.co.uk

________________________________
Wellman Defence is a limited company registered in England and Wales.

Company Registration No. 953609

Registered Offices: Wellman International Ltd., Newfield Road, Oldbury, West
Midlands, B69 3ET, England.

The contents and any attachments to this email include information that is
private and confidential and should only be read by those persons to whom they
are addressed. Wellman Defence Limited accepts no liability for any loss or
damage suffered by any person arising from the use of this email.

Neither Wellman Defence Limited nor the sender accepts any responsibility for
viruses and it is your responsibility to check the email and attachments (if
any). If you received this mail in error, please destroy and delete the message
from your computer.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>