I've said this before. The status of standard DOES NOT determine whether
product is within the scope of a particular Directive or not.

To put it in its simplest terms, if a product has powered moving parts then,
irrespective of the status or otherwise of any standards, it is within the
scope of the Machinery Directive unless it is excluded by one of the clauses in
Article 1. That's all there is to it.

Nick.

On 30 Apr 2012, at 17:00, Ted Eckert wrote:

> The first question I would ask is whether there is a product specific
> standard that covers your product. If so, then determine if that product
> specific standard is a harmonized standard under one of the other directives.
> In that case, the machinery directive would not apply.
>
> For example, an air conditioner has plenty of moving parts. However, a small
> portable air conditioner intended to be installed and used by general users
> is covered by EN 60335-2-40, which is a harmonized standard under the Low
> Voltage Directive. This air conditioner would not fall under the Machinery
> Directive.
>
> On the other hand, a large commercial air conditioner designed to be
> installed on the roof of a building is not within the scope of EN 60335-2-40.
> There are general standards covering the mechanical safety and the safety of
> the pressurized system, but not an overarching product standard for this type
> of product. As such, it falls under the Machinery Directive.
>
> You may need to do some research to see if your product is within the scope
> of a product specific standard. However, if it is and if that standard is a
> harmonized standard under the Low Voltage Directive, the LVD would likely
> apply. These standards are designed to cover potential mechanical hazards
> specific to certain product types, but they are recognized as covering
> product where electrical hazards predominate.
>
> This is not just the case for the LVD. There are medical products with moving
> parts and toys with moving parts and those are each covered under their own
> directives. If your product has a radio, and it is covered by a standard
> harmonized under the R&TTE Directive, that Directive may be the one that
> applies.
>
> Ted Eckert
> Compliance Engineer
> Microsoft Corporation
> ted.eck...@microsoft.com
>
> The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
> employer.

Nick Williams
Director
Direct line: +44 1298 873811
Mobile: +44 7702 995135
email: nick.willi...@conformance.co.uk

-----

Conformance Ltd - Product safety, approvals and CE-marking consultants
The Old Methodist Chapel, Great Hucklow, Buxton, SK17 8RG England
Tel. +44 1298 873800, Fax. +44 1298 873801, www.conformance.co.uk
Registered in England, Company No. 3478646

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>