From: Doug Powell
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 8:44 AM
To: emc-pstc
Subject: What's the deal with Wire Nuts?

At the risk of redundancy, I would like to re-open a question from
2008 "What's the deal with Wire Nuts?"
http://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/msg56599.html

The original discussion seems to track well with my own opinion on the
use of these wiring devices, but this is based my opinion.  I am aware
of many American appliance manufacturers who use these devices and
still obtain their safety certifications.  It is my *opinion* that any
equipment destined for the European market should not use these
devices but I cannot find any direct prohibition on their use.  The
IPC 620 standard may have limits but this is more like a workmanship
standard.

Several reasons might be used to prohibit their use:

1) Temperature ratings
2) Secondary securement of conductors
3) Insufficient coverage of bare metal parts and resulting electrical
tape used (creepage problem)
4) No limit to the number of conductors
5) Over/Under twisting of the connector
6) Metallic insert or non-metallic

This time around my context is equipment that falls under the scope of
IEC 61010-1 and its derivatives.  Has anyone seen a definitive answer
to this question?

--
Thanks, -doug

Douglas E Powell