In message <OFDEF1DD24.6EF50883-ON88257A99.005ECCE0-88257A99.005FC1FD@US.Schneider-E lectric.com>, dated Tue, 16 Oct 2012, ralph.mcdiar...@schneider-electric.com writes:

I've read that, depending on antenna size, 3 metre distance is within what is called the "near field" and if so, then I assume spectrum of radio emission wouldn't correlate well to what would be measured at 10m or 30m.

It's not so much antenna size, in principle, as antenna type and wavelength. The 'far field', where the ratio of electric to magnetic field strength is constant at 377 ohms, is established at and beyond about 3 wavelengths from the source antenna, if it's small compared with the wavelength, but it may not be.

Nearer the source than 3 wavelengths, the ratio of field strengths is not constant and depends on whether the antenna is electric or magnetic, and how big it is. There is a 'transition region', between about one-sixth of a wavelength and 3 wavelengths; the ratio has a maximum or minimum at one-sixth wavelength. Closer than that is 'near field', and, for a small antenna, the ratio varies with distance from the source but is predictable by simple formulas.

I have to say that 'doctors differ' over those numbers. In checking references, I find that at least one 'doctor' considers that the 377 ohms impedance is established at somewhat less than a wavelength from the (small) antenna. I suppose it depends on whether you settle for 337 +/-3.7 or 377 +/- 74.
--
OOO - Own Opinions Only. See www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
The longer it takes to make a point, the more obtuse it proves to be.

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>