There are two reasons I am aware of.

The lack of a 6 dB reflection (which is slightly less due to way
length),
requires a 5 dB lower limit  (thus the 35 instead of 40 at 230 MHz).

Why then is this 35 not used at 30 MHz?

The fact that a FAR/OATS has a problem in achieving an optimal
summation of reflected and direct wave in horizontal polarization
by just leveling the antenna (1-4m) annihilates the difference between
SAR/OATS and FAR.

You can make the calculations yourself with the help of Pythagoras
and Excel under consideration that horizontally polarized waves invert
in phase upon reflection  and vertically polarized waves do not
and that EUT  is at 0.8 m high and measurement distance is 10 meters.
Way direct varies from 10.00-10.49 and reflected from 10.16-11.09

The difference between reflected and direct wave are from 0.16 to 1m
approx
So only a lambda of 2 m (150 MHz) can be fully compensated for. For
lower
frequencies simply not enough difference in way length can be created
by shifting the antenna up and never a 6 dB summation is achieved.
At 30 MHz there is no summation but phase cancelling instead as
1 meter of delta test distance represent only 180/5 (=36) degrees
of phase shift from 180  to 216 degrees.

This is a serious flaw of a SAR/OATS from a technical point of view.

The problem shows up only for point sources and point antenna's.
In real life the way lengths may differ due to distribution of
receive and transmit points but the principle remains valid
(for horizontal polarization).

For a SAR at 3 meters the height scan does not behave like that,
but the variation of the effective test distance to EUT is too much for
consistent measurements:
when scanning up to 4 m the test distance for the direct wave changes
from
3-4.38m and the reflected wavelength changes from 3.5 to almost 5.66 m.

So it's more easy to pass the test on an OATS than in a FAR.
Therefore the levels  used in a FAR are gradually increased
when the frequency lowers, to match those of the OATS (in error !!!!).

Gert Gremmen
Ce-test