Dave

Directive are "higher level" documents that won't prescribe how you must do
things.

Tables of "critical components" are typically listed in safety test reports,
such as tables for EN 60950 clause 1.5.1.

As Rich says, "Critical components lists" are things that help manufacturers in
that they allow you to clearly identify components that are "safeguards" .

Once you have such a list, flag all included items on your PDM system to (try
and) stop second sourcing alternative parts without appropriate checks and
sign-off being done first.

Don't just list them in your Technical File, add a flag to your PDM system -
that way you have a fighting chance of controlling what happens in reality :)

Regards

Charlie