From: ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen <g.grem...@cetest.nl>
To: EMC-PSTC <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Sent: Fri, Mar 21, 2014 1:54 am
Subject: Re: [PSES] common charger for radio equipment

Note this EC-text addresses mobile phones and thelike, and not their
chargers....

As the text is to be included in the RTTE directive and the "whereas" part
reads
:
"In particular, mobile phones that are made available on the market should be
compatible with a common charger",
and
" in particular for the benefit of consumers"

one may conclude that it's mobile phones that are targeted only.
The new RTTE directive addresses wireless radio only (terminal equipment will
be
left out) so
it's difficult to find consumer products that are radio, need chargers, and are
not mobile phone....

I am curious on how the directive will address DECT equipment, as they are
often
equipped with desktop chargers,
that allow easy placement (and pick up).

More specifically, this text is directed to Apple computers, as they refused to
implement
the code of conduct that introduced the micro-USB charger connector earlier
last
decade.

Note that the directive does not oblige Apple to abandon their proprietary
charge connector, but requires
their phones to be compatible only. I expect apple to provide a simple adapter
to make it compatible.

Although the type of connector is not defined in this document, I expect the
micro-usb to be the connector of choice , as this was the type recommended in
the code of conduct.

I welcome the standardization effort, but I think it has not been well
formulate
because the text will be largely ineffective as long as the delivered charger
devices are not included
allowing Apple to deliver the current charger type and for the EC provide a
cumbersome external adapter (micro-USB to Apple proprietary) that will be
quickly abandoned by its users, leading to a waste pile of adapters.

I suggest Brian, that any complaints regarding this, are to addressed directly
to the King of the EC
in Brussels

Regards,

Ing.  Gert Gremmen, BSc

g.grem...@cetest.nl
www.cetest.nl

Kiotoweg 363
3047 BG Rotterdam
T 31(0)104152426
F 31(0)104154953

 Before printing, think about the environment.