From: Mark Schmidt [mailto:mark.schm...@dornerworks.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 1:04 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] RoHS on Hardware

Brian,

May I be candid here. A local hardware store in the USA is not going to have
traceability to RoHS compliance. It is highly likely they won’t even know what
it is. Testing is way too expensive and time consuming, I would even go as far
to say it’s unreliable as well. Procurement from a larger supplier just means
that they have more people to generate Declarations and make claims about RoHS
in an attempt to sell more hardware. Maybe if they print a pretty green leaf or
some type of RoHS logo next to the part in their catalog it make it even more
believable. My point here is until the industry (globally) moves to eliminate
the use and no longer support the use of these hazardous substances called out
in RoHS, you will never know for sure if it is compliant or not.
I do believe that if your internal people try to attain a declaration and
possibly a test report that will suffice on the behalf of Due Diligence in the
legal sense. The reality is you will never know for sure if it is RoHS
compliant from batch to batch or supplier to supplier but having a declaration
may allow you to sleep better at night.

Regards,
Mark