On 11/17/2014 5:27 AM, John Woodgate wrote:
In message <052386ecbaec46bb9a46af06a46b1...@sehste15d1be4.hs20.net>, dated Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Charlie Blackham <char...@sulisconsultants.com> writes:

The NRTL insist on short-circuiting the single 560R current limiting resistor and I am unable to find any evidence that thick-film or thin-film surface mount resistors can fail short-circuit as they appear to fail open-circuit

They are citing the standard, which doesn't have an exception for not shorting SM resistors. It's probably too late to take them into account in 60950-1, but this should be considered for 62489-1, if it hasn't been already. Will the resistor manufacturers give assurances that S/C failures do not occur?
I'd say any problem would lie in soldering techniques; how many fires are due to solder bridges?

FWIW department: I once had an ADSL modem board I'd modified for testing catch fire in my hand. My manager came into the lab and yelled at me several times --I was watching the spectrum analyzer -- before I noticed. (grin)

I'll grant that a "wall-wart" is not as limited as a button cell; in my case the resistance of the already carbonized board was a continuing source of ignition. CAN a button cell set fire to a board?

Cortland Richmond

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>