What follows is our experience for SIL4 railway safety application. We are
dealing with functional safety.  When performing FMEAs, the relevant standard
EN50129 (see Appendix C) allows not to consider shorts or decrease of
resistance if:

-          the resistor is operated well within its nominal dissipation and
(over)voltage ratings (i.e. no failure due to overheating or discharge can
occur);

-          the distance between terminals and PCB pads satisfy double
insulation clearances/creepages.

That is true for thin film resistors.
For thick film resistors, there are some studies showing the possibility of
shorts due to dendritic growth of Ag or Cu, however this could occur only in
very chemically aggressive environment (which is not the case in our
applications).
So, after deep analysis of more than 30 different  studies made by several
universities or research centres, at the time we have concluded that we can
exclude short circuit failure and even decrease of resistance value also for
thick film, for SMD cases larger than 0805 (for smaller cases pads are so close
that it would be difficult to exclude external shorts).

Regards,
Francesco Campedelli