Hello Charlie:

I suggest you go ahead with the short-circuit test.  I can’t imagine a
coin-cell battery failing the criteria specified in 60950-1.

These tests shall not result in any of the following:

− chemical leaks caused by cracking, rupturing or bursting of the battery
jacket, if such leakage could adversely affect required insulation; or

− spillage of liquid from any pressure relief device in the battery, unless
such spillage is contained by the equipment without risk of damage to the
insulation or harm to the USER; or

− explosion of the battery, if such explosion could result in injury to a USER;
or

− emission of flame or expulsion of molten metal to the outside of the
equipment ENCLOSURE.

If the NRTL would use “engineering judgment,” they would not perform the test.

If you prefer that the host equipment not be sacrificed, I’m sure the NRTL
would allow using wires to locate the coin-cell battery external to the
equipment.

Best regards,

Rich