OSHA Conducted a Request for Information (RFI) back in 2008 that compared
the effectiveness and overall costs of SDoC vs 3rd Party Conformity
assessment, the full summary report can be found here
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=OSHA-2008-0032-0099 .  While
there was no clean data (products that were purely SDoC vs products that
were purely 3rd party) available to draw firm conclusions, some of the
findings were interesting:

   - Recorded injuries from electrical equipment were double (per 100,000
   workers) in the EU vs the US
   - A European study found that 58% of extension cords that were available
   for sale in the EU were sufficiently unsafe to justify a sales ban/product
   recall
   - In the 2008 RFI, OSHA estimated that implementing an SDoC system in
   the U.S. could cost the Agency approximately $360 million annually. In
   contrast, the current budget associated with operating the NRTL Program is
   approximately $1 million per year. Based on this estimate, operating an
   effective SDoC program would require OSHA to incur substantial additional
   costs. OSHA's current budget for all of its operations is about $558
   million. Thus, based on OSHA's estimate, adopting an SDoC system would
   increase OSHA's entire current budget by more than 150%.

Kevin Robinson