Brian

Not arguing at all with your comments - generally I think I generally agree
with them in the specific issue of strict compliance with the standards.

But why do I think that that the standards are not the whole answer?

Why? Because the burden on small (and even on bigger) companies of complying
with the complex requirements of many standards can be (generally IS) very
heavy - just think how much time/money it takes to comply with the ones you
know well - and then think how much more is required for a company that does
not?

And, in that respect, the NRTL approach is very prescriptive - deviations from
the standards is hard, if not impossible, for them to permit.

OTOH, the EU approach is more encompassing because the prime requirement is to
comply with the essential protection requirements of the relevant Directive(s).
As such you do NOT need to comply with all the detailed requirements of a
standard, but if you claim compliance with a Harmonized Standard but you don’t
comply with some of its specific requirements then you DO have to identify
where you have deviated and how you still hold that you comply with the
essential requirements of the Directive in question.

That's not to excuse companies that ignore the above statement of the
requirements, but to explain why it is perfectly possible for the situations
you describe could arise in the EU and yet still be compliant with the legal
(and hopefully ethical) requirements in this area of the world. OTOH, in the US
the situation is more "black and white" and with less room for "flexibility" -
which also means a rather blinkered  approach IMHO!

John Allen
West London, UK