In message <54e90ce3.9030...@bendbroadband.com>, dated Sat, 21 Feb 2015, Richard Nute <ri...@bendbroadband.com> writes:

No-one will try to write a standard for a product that does not yet
exist, so standards development must always lag innovation.

The question I ask is:  Can you make a safe product without a safety
standard?

Yes. 'Safe' products (perhaps not by the current criteria) preceded, for example, BS 415 (an ancestor of IEC/EN 60065), which originally applied to 'battery eliminators' (mains power packs for battery radios, 120 V DC at about 60 mA).

If the principles of product safety are known, they can be applied to
an innovative product technology as well as existing product technology.
No safety standard is required.

Agreed. The EU system allows that.

The three-block model can tell when safeguards are required.  For most
products, both a basic safeguard and a supplementary safeguard provide
sufficient safety.  Such safeguards provide protection under normal
conditions and under single fault (e.g., failure of the basic safeguard)
conditions.

Agreed.

Such is engineering and science driven safety, not standards driven
safety.

Well, they are not opposites. Standards are necessary to support regulation intended to eliminate unsafe product from the market. Those standards should be 'engineering and science driven', not arbitrarily prescriptive.
--
OOO - Own Opinions Only. With best wishes. See www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
When I turn my back on the sun, it's to look for a rainbow

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>