Kevin,

Most certifying agencies will provide information on their expectations for
measurement uncertainty.  The EMC people of this world can go on for ages
about the topic, you will almost always see a workshop on this at the
annual EMC symposium.  For safety testing this usually does not come into
questions unless you have measurements that are rather close to the limit.
My personal experience is with setting up an ISO 17025 accredited testing
lab and following the guidance from both ISO 17025 and ANSI/NCSL Z540.1.
There is some math involved as well as decisions about the probability
distributions.

The first thing you should check however, is if there is any interference.
The J and K type thermonuclear probes do have iron (Fe) content and are
susceptible to magnetic or RF fields.  If you have such fields present they
can result in a much wider range of readings than you might otherwise
expect.  Look for a sudden shift in temperatures when you switch power on
and off.  Using shielded probes or RTDs may be helpful.  Also type T
thermocouples have no iron content.  In every case I know of, optical
temperature guns are not acceptable for final readings in product
certifications.  From thermocouples you may expect an initial tolerance
variance of about +/- 2 degrees (C).  Any more than this and you should
check your welding process and the quality of the attachment to the device
being measured.  If you are attempting to measure ambient air, you can
expect more variation and sometimes placing the TC in a small vial with
couple milliliters of oil will help to stabilize the readings, this of
course will slow down response times.

All the best,  Doug

--

Douglas E Powell