Many companies use the legal term of “at will” employment.  It pretty much
gives an employer the right to dismiss without disclosing any motivation.

From: Ted Eckert [mailto:000007cf6ebeab9d-dmarc-requ...@ieee.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:49 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Public view of this email server?

In the United States, the First Amendment prevents governments from regulating
speech. However, employment at a specified company is not a constitutionally
protected right. A private company is permitted to fire you for something you
say. Many people learn in the United States have learned this the hard way.
Employment law is normally governed at the state level. In many states, your
employer can fire you without giving any reason at all. If they don’t like what
you said, they don’t have to state that as a reason for termination. Employers
in the U.S. can’t fire you based on race, gender and a few other aspects, but
speech is generally allowed to be restricted as a condition of employment.

Ted Eckert

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.