All,

The following has always been confusing for me,

*For those tests that require the DUT to reach thermal equilibrium, thermal
equilibrium is considered to be achieved if after three consecutive
temperature measurements taken at intervals of 10% of the previously
elapsed duration of the test but not less than 15 min, indicate no change
in temperature greater than ±2°C (3.6°F).*

The portion of text "*taken at intervals of 10% of the previously elapsed
duration of the test"* has been around for some time and it exists in
several safety standards, the "*not less than 15 min*" can be other values
like 10 minutes, 5 minutes, etc.  I believe the intent is to minimize the
number of data points being recorded for extremely long thermal tests. The
idea makes sense when I think back to the days of manual data logging.
Nowadays, with the advent of automated data logging, this point probably
becomes moot.  Still, the phrase bugs me and I would like to understand how
this might be interpreted.

First the "*previously elapsed duration*" could indicate either the
duration of the entire test or the duration of the last logging interval.

Second, over a long test 10% of the previous interval very quickly shortens
the logging intervals to something ridiculously small.  For example, in
three data points interval of 1440 minutes (24 hours) will be reduced to
144 minutes (2.4 hours) and then 14.4 minutes, at which point the 15 minute
minimum takes over.

I generally record at a much shorter intervals, even if for several days
and check for equilibrium at a modulus of 15 minutes, as required.

​Thanks,  Doug
​

--

Douglas E Powell