John,

I agree with the common sense approach and use it frequently.  It's always
interesting to me how I can look at a screen plot of 60 thermocouples and
in a second or two decide, "yes this is stable".  I can even estimate how
much time it will take to become stable as a test nears the end (usually
about the time of a lunch break).  More than once I have attempted to write
an algorithm to make the same projection and have failed every time.  The
non-linearities and multiple heat sources & sinks makes this nearly
impossible.

On a side-bar, Voltaire is quoted as saying "*Common sense is not so common*",
which mean he is man with similar sensibilities as myself.

Those who know me personally have often heard me say what I consider to be
a corollary, "*Common sense is usually neither.. common or sensible*".

-Doug

Douglas E Powell
Laporte, Colorado USA
doug...@gmail.com