From: Richard Nute <ri...@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 17:03:36 -0800
To: <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: Re: [PSES] Thermal equilibrium - 10% rule

Thermal equilibrium is impossible.  Thermal change is an exponential, never
achieving the end-point.

The test is to determine that some part does not exceed its temperature
rating.  Plotting the (exponential) curve shows whether the temperature in
question is or is not going to exceed its rating.  (Curve-fitting would be
nice, but impossible.)  As soon as this determination is made, the test can
be concluded.

Defining thermal equilibrium as ±2°C (3.6°F) is not achievable as thermal
change is an exponential.  And, it is tight.  For a small (low thermal mass)
part, air currents will change the temperature beyond this limit.

The statement does not reflect knowledge of primitive thermodynamics.

Best wishes for the New Year!
Rich