Jon Elson wrote:

> I did have some non-CNC interference from my mill's VFD, mostly
> to my computer monitor.  I put a Corcom-type line filter box on
> the line in to the VFD, and it solved the problem.
>
> Jon

I had the same thing with the fractional HP VFD on my drill press.
It was only running a 1/2 HP three phase motor, but it put enough
interference back into the AC line that you couldn't use an AM radio
anywhere in the house.  During baseball season that was unacceptable.
A Corcom filter cleaned it right up.

Filtering gets a lot more complicated when you start talking about a
few HP, but for fractional HP, a 10A Corcom will do wonders for RF
interference.

Noise getting into encoder signals is NOT the same as AM radio
interference.  Although a Corcom can't hurt, I would not expect it to
help much with encoder noise.  That needs to be addressed by grounding,
shielding, and use of differential signals.

I seem to recall Kirk saying that he has a short run of single ended
signals between the encoder itself and the differential driver board.
That board should be as close as humanly possible to the encoder, and
its ground must be connected to the encoder ground.  Any stray currents
flowing in the grounds between the two items will result in noise.

Regards,

John Kasunich