Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Dave Engvall wrote:
>
>>Hi Jon,
>>
>>Riston sounds like better stuff and easier to use. I think one gets
>>sharper etching if the etchant is pumped over the foil.
>

> Many years ago, we had a DEA spray etcher at the tv station where I got
> started back in the early 60's.  You could write notes in the 10x10 boxes of
> the gfx background we used to do our layouts on, and which got reduced 4x
> before the board was exposed.  With that etcher, it was a 3 to 5 minute job
> as it sprayed both sides of the board at the same time, and you could still
> read the notes very clearly in the copper when done.  I have never rocked a
> pyrex cake pan and got anywhere near that sort of precision results since.

Right, I built my own spray etcher years ago, with a pump
machined all out of Plexiglas.  I used a DC motor on top, which
had a vertical shaft down through the etchant to drive the pump,
so there were no rotating seals.  I discovered that FeCl2 would
turn nylon screws brittle with a 2 minute exposure and the heads
would start popping off!  it had a lot of problems, mostly
getting the etchant hot.  I eventually pulled a complete and
working Kepro spray etcher out of the dumpster at work.  Just
one little dab of JB Weld on a leaky spot and it works
beautifully.  it has a heater in a Titanium tube in the bottom.
  I put a couple bricks in it to reduce the volume of etchant
required to fill the sump.

Jon