Kirk,

> The C11 document specifies three power supplies. One computer side +5V,
> one CNC side +5V @ 2A and One CNC side +12V @ 300mA. I would think if
> you have satisfied these specifications, you should be okay. 12V should
> have enough headroom to regulate to 10 V and the VFD should only draw a
> few milliamperes at worst. Ops I forgot, you are going into the Sherline
> speed control, so I don't know what it draws. It shouldn't be drawing
> much anyway. You may want to make sure you are getting at least 22kHz

We need a separate supply: the analog voltage controller on the C11 is
isolated from the other circuitry because in the case of the sherline,
the speed control voltage is connected to the live mains.

> (24kHz - ~10%) into the C11. You could setup HALscope to look at the
> siggen output and count the rising edges over a time period. If you are
> running siggen in the servo thread, my guess is that, you will only get
> into the 2kHz range. With my DAC project, I have just run into "FP
> needed" errors and computer lockups while trying to run HAL components
> in the base thread, so I need to learn more about what will run in the
> base thread. pwmgen will, but I don't know enough to guess at how to
> make it act like a variable frequency pulse generator. Another thought
> comes to mind. If you are only getting 2kHz out of siggen then maybe you
> could step up the frequency with a PLL. I have never used a PLL, but I
> think this is what they are supposed to do. Ideally, it would be nice to
> have a pulse generator HAL component. With the proper knowledge, I
> suppose it would not be too difficult to make, but that is like saying,
> if I had enough money, I'd be rich.

At 400Hz I get the max voltage out of the analog voltage part. So this
is ok. I'll try with stepgen just to know if this works.

Geert