On Monday 11 February 2008 15:14, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2008, Ian W. Wright wrote:
> >For those who were fascinated by the polygon turning have a look at this
> >- http://tinyurl.com/2wqbvl , it achieves the same ends but without any
> >extra power or synchronisation of spindle and cutter! The video even
> >gives a good indication of how you can make your own!!!
> >Usual disclaimer - no connection with company etc. etc.
>
> Now that's cute Ian.  But the forces would seem to preclude my trying it on
> my
> little toy lathe.

with the angular offset and shearing action of the cutter they take allot less
push than you'd think
but you have no controll of the orientation and you cant work behind a shoulder
or swallow more
than an inch or so of the part
then again the polygon head wont do splines ,keyseats or internal work

a few years ago someone made a CNC mill that would drill square holes like this
http://upper.us.edu/faculty/smith/reuleaux.htm
by syncing the table motion to the spindle position

I'm sure someone somewhere has a use for that feature but I think they did it
mainly to show off
how fast the machine was ;)

Brian