On Monday 11 February 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I have built up a router table with XYZ motion stages.  My intent is to
>produce wood and
>Corian type signs.  I have EMC driving steppers via a 1284 parallel port.
>It's working
>out very well.  Now I am looking for fonts in the form of G code.  Does
>anyone know of any?
>
>I have code to resize and move the G code to fit the work piece but I have
>yet to
>find anything that would allow me to rip a True Type font into G-Code or
>just a source
>of G code fonts.
>
>I am trying to avoid purchasing an expensive CAD package just to have the
>ability to
>generate signs. Maybe there is a CAD for Ubuntu?
>
>I am new to Linux but so far am very pleased at the quality and robustness
>of the whole
>OS and EMC support.
>
>Thanks, Jim Combs
>
>Lexington, KY

There is the TrueTypeTracer, (google for it) which takes a tt font, and the
text you want to make gcode from.  It draws the outline of the font with
gcode, but I don't have the proper engraving bits to make it look 'pretty'
since it doesn't trace the center of each character.  I would be very nice if
this actually traced the geometric centerline, or did fill removal inside he
characters.  However for brass nameplates and such, it works quite well if a
cursive font is used.  I believe that or something very similar was used to
generate the gcode axis logo module that emc loads on default at startup.

--
Cheers, Gene
Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens