> Cool, what kind of tweeking did you have to do with hal?
> John

nothing special, just set up the spindle encoder so that
motion.spindle-revs increases by 1 when the spindle turns one
revolution, and connect the index-enable to the encoder counter.

setp m5i20.0.enc-03-scale 2000
net spindle-pos m5i20.0.enc-03-position
net spindle-pos motion.spindle-revs
net spindle-index-en motion.spindle-index-enable
net spindle-index-en m5i20.0.enc-03-index-enable

Rigid tapping worked fine at 500 RPM, but gave following errors at
higher spindle speeds.
Now I did it by first starting the spindle and then issuing the G33.1
command.
I suspect the following errors are related to the Z-axis not keeping up
with the spindle if the spindle is already turning at 2000rpm.

So perhaps start the spindle and have the G33.1 command on the same line
of g-code so that the spindle accelerates from 0rpm to commanded rpm and
the z-axis has time to respond?

Now I have no accel/decel on spindle-speed-out, so the accel/decel is
only set in the VFD. But that should be ok as EMC2 does the gearing on
the actual encoder signal and not commanded rpm.

Anders