Steve Blackmore wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:55:11 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> I'm pleased to announce the next release of the emc 2.2 series, emc
>> 2.2.6.  This version contains many bugfixes, a new unified
>> driver for the Mesa PCI and parport cards such as 5i20 and 7i33, and a
>> sample configuration for the Tormach PCNC 1100.
>
> Yea - great....sigh  BUT
>
> Is there a bootable ISO anywhere?

Go to http://linuxcnc.org/  (the home page for EMC2)

Click on "download", that gets you the "download info" page:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/2/4/lang,en/

Click the first link: "basic installation":
http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/21/4/lang,en/

Choose between the Ubuntu 6.06 and Ubuntu 8.04 ISOs (there are words on
that page to help you decide).

Download and install - that will get you version 2.2.something.

Then connect the computer to the internet, and either click
System->Administration->UpdateManager, or just wait for the "updates
available" icon to appear (sometimes takes an hour or two), then one or
two clicks will update you to the just released version 2.2.6.

> I'm a computer professional, but I don't want to be a linux guru in the
> secret circle. Those instructions mean nothing to me, they tell me how
> to upgrade, but from what?
>
> "Updating to 2.2"
>
> but what am I upgrading from??? Typical EMC page...

If you were running 2.1.x, some changes to your configuration might be
needed when you upgrade to 2.2.x.  That page tells you what they are.
If you weren't running EMC2 before, you don't care.

If you were running 2.2.x, where x is 1 to 5, then you can update to
2.2.6 with no changes needed.  (That is one of our policies - a "last
digit" version is compatible with prior versions having the same middle
digit.  If the middle digit changes (version 2.3.0 is coming in the next
six months or so) then some changes may be required, and will be documented.

Keep in mind that Jeff was writing a release announcement, not a
beginners guide.  As such, it was targeted at people who are already
running an earlier version of EMC2.

If those people are using one of our Ubuntu distros, they will get
automatic notification of the update, with one click installation, just
like they do for just about every other program that is part of that distro.

Regards,

John Kasunich