Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 22 November 2008, Andrew Ayre wrote:
>> Jon Elson wrote:

>>> A following error in this case means that the commanded velocity
>>> required more steps/second than the step generator could produce, with
>>> the settings of your system.  It may be possible to make the step
>>> generator run faster by decreasing the value of BASE_PERIOD in the
>>> [EMCMOT] section of your .ini file.  Warning!  If you make this value
>>> too small, your system will freeze up when you start EMC.  A quick check
>>> would be to set your feed override to 50% and see if the program gets
>>> past this spot.  I didn't see anything near line 161 that looked like a
>>> sudden fast and long move.  I do notice some G00 moves at other spots,
>>> which would command the fastest motion permitted by the .ini file
>>> parameters.  That would be where I'd expect to see a following error.  A
>>> 50% feed override ALSO affects G00 moves, so all motion should slow to
>>> 50%, and it should get past the bad spot.  If it is really tripping on a
>>> G00 move, then you need to lower the MAX velocity in your .ini file
>>> (unless speeding up the BASE_PERIOD is possible.)
>> Thanks for the detailed reply. I set the feed override to 44% and it
>> works (slowly), but I would like to better understand this so I can
>> avoid this in the future.
>>
>> I've set the BASE_PERIOD based on the latency test, and it is the
>> maximum my machine can run at. It gives me a max speed of 71.6 IPM. I
>> can't decrease this value, unfortunately.
>
> And why not?  All it takes is an editor to change that value in the .ini
> file,
> it is in (I think) nanoseconds, and a 25% upward increment should still work
> just fine if your limit is 30 ipm.  For steppers though, 30 ipm is pushing
> them, and torque at that speed, unless you have lots higher voltages
> available than I, is going to be well below the motors rated value.

I meant decrease the BASE_PERIOD. Sorry if what I wrote was confusing.

My steppers have a max torque of 305 oz-in at 3A and I am running them
at 2A (36VDC input I believe). Do you know of a formula or graph that
allows me to work out the optimal cutting speed for the most torque? My
machine is quite small - 18" x 12" x 3" cutting area. I assumed the
motors I have are overkill for this size of machine (when cutting wood),
but maybe that is wrong?

30 IPM is an arbitrary value that I picked that I didn't feel
comfortable going above. If I knew I could run it faster I would, but
I'm just starting out.

>> The g-code file is supposed to limit the speed to 30 IPM, and you can
>> see this when running the file in AXIS.
>>
>> However I now notice that when the file is running in AXIS the velocity
>> occasionally and only for a split second displays a value of 71.6 IPM.
>> This raises two questions for me:
>>
>>   - why would a movement cause the velocity to go beyond the maximum of
>> 30 IPM that I set? Is that a problem with AXIS/EMC2 or the g-code?
>
> What version of emc, and what backlash settings please?

pre-2.2 CVS HEAD. The backlash settings are:

X: 0.005375"
Y: 0.0025"
Z: 0.0003"

The backlash was measured with a dial indicator.

As I mentioned before, I've cut lots of g-code files without a problem
using the same settings. But I think this g-code file has more small
rapid movements than the others.

thanks, Andy

--
Andy