Jeff

I read your post with great interest. For me, it gave some very good insight.
Like you, I do not have a repeatable tool length. I was wondering if I could
get a kind of switch doing my touching off of the z-axis. The idea is as
follows:

- I have a parallel port based 3 axis mill driven by emc2 2.3.3 (soon 2.3.4)
- I have a vacuum table, that is well enough even (I remill the surface when
the wear plate needs to be replaced)
- x and y are also repeatably within reference distance from home position
- If I would add a small metal plate (say alu) into my vac table (could veven
be on an spring mount), connect it to a wire, I could close an electric circuit
when the tool touches that plate. If I was able to stop z-motion based on the
closed electrical curcuit (we talk about say dc 4-6V) immediately, I would not
have to jog to the position each time. This saves considerable time for me and
sounds much more reliable to me as manual jogging.

How would I be able to implement this?

greets Chris