On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 01:43:49PM +0100, Sven Wesley wrote:

> The touch of plates I have been using for years are normal steel, both
> standard and stainless. They are spring loaded. works like a charm.

I've set aside a used tungsten carbide [1] hand planer blade to use in
exactly that way, i.e. spring-loaded up underneath a machined lip [2] at
each end. If the lips are a measured distance "x" up from the bottom of
the containing block, then I should be able to plonk it on top of a
workpiece, and touch off relative to there, or put it on the table, if
needing to machine to thickness.

A lump of metal's lying about too, but it still hasn't changed into the
desired shape.

I have some mylar film, to go in between the bottom of the block and a
flat wear plate, held on with countersunk nylon screws. Then it's
insulated. That's needed because the tool isn't, and it doesn't seem
convenient to insulate the workpiece.

Having not read any details on how EMC handles a touch-off input, I'm
all ears & eyes on any good oil on that subject, too.

[1] TC should withstand a lot of gentle tool impacts without
    cratering, i.e. it should stay flat.

[2] The lips will need to be sufficiently far apart to allow one tooth of
    a face cutter onto the touch-plate, but a load spreader bar might
    need to go under the thin planer blade, to reduce bowing, if there's
    only one central spring. (That, or two springs.)

Erik