> I am not sure how to wire 74HC148
> Can you show how to connect wires 7-20 to 74HC148 and to 11 pins on 7i37
> (00in, 01in, 02in. ………10in)

take a close look at the datasheet
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74hc148.pdf

the 74hc148 has three output bits, you wire these to your m5i20. since
it has three bits it can be in 2^3 or eight (8) different states. So
you could potentially wire an 8-way rotary selection switch to the
inputs, and it will output a three-bit pattern corresponding to the
position of the switch. You would then save 8-3 = 5 I/O pins.
With two bits you can have 4 states, so for a 4-position rotary switch
you would save 4-2 = 2 I/O pins.

if you have lots of I/O pins to spare and are using 3 or 4-way rotary
switches it may not be worth it to encode the position of the switch
with a 74hc148

Anders