For a sim only version, I even saw on phlatforum.com a guy posted instructions
on running the emc2 CD on VMWare on a windows machine.  It whines about
not doing the RT correctly, but it works OK for simulation.

If we could find an inexpensive small board that is bullet proof enough for
shop use, that could be a real boon to the spread of EMC2 and low cost
CNC work.