2010/4/20 Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com>:
> Interesting discussion but the economics of this discussion are escaping
> me ....
>
> I work with a manufacturer that runs a large waterjet system 1-2 shifts
> per day at least 5 days per week.
>
> Their biggest costs related to the waterjet are water and electricity.
> The amount of water they use and the sewage charges they pay to dispose
> of it are significant.
> Electicity costs are at least $1000 per month.
>
> It isn't difficult to pay $50,000 for a decent water jet pump.... I
> believe the waterjet system that they have (gantry, conveyor, pump,
> water handling system, and controls installed ) was about $250K when it
> was new 10 years ago.
>
> Waterjet swivel joints are expensive, but they are incidental to the
> cost of operating the machine.
>
> Sheetcam is very inexpensive compared to anything related to waterjet
> cutting. It does cost more than EMC2 but not that much. ;-)
>
> Dave

Yes, i can only agree that cost of machine itself (i paid ~100.000 USD
for it 1,5 years ago) makes all the previously mentioned cost
positions look ridiculously small, but my business is doing so bad,
that available cash flows are almost non-existent, so i am stuck with
looking for creative solutions, not those that are provided by
industrial manufacturers. That is why i have chosen EMC instead of new
controlling system from MEFI (creator of previous DOS-based system) or
any-one else.

Another reason is that I have come to conclusion that building by
myself is better from terms of maintenance and support. My machine was
produced in Czech Republic. Both - hardware and software (controlling
system). I have been trying to contact those companies with different
questions on how to solve some problems - machine is not new and
different issues sometimes come up.
My experience - there is no such thing as customer service in that
country. When i contacted manufacturer of servo drives and asked for
specific settings, their guy promised "to do it tomorrow". When i
called a week later to ask for the reason of delay, it turned out,
that my guy is on holiday and his colleague explained that my guy
[quote] "probably had more important things to do". Very similar is
situation with PTV - manufacturer of the machine. There is no way to
get some support from them, I have tried to contact them several times
with questions about spare parts and how to do certain things in
mechanics to improve accuracy. I have come to conclusion that some
kind of retards are working there.

So, returning to the essence of this discussion - how can i implement
in EMC tangential tool control for tilting the head? Prefferably with
A and B rotary axis :)

Viesturs