Ok.. so here's the weird thing...

I completely purged the NVIDIA proprietary drivers from the system,
and now OpenGL loads with the NV driver?  Some weird incompatibility
going on I suppose.  But now I noticed that I don't have any sound..
can't win for loosing... I guess I don't really NEED sound on this
machine but it bothers me that it's not there.

With the NV Driver I'm able to get smooth motion from 0 to around
50ipm (screws and bearingless screws) on my little rebuilt D&M4s, but
I'm wondering if things might be even a little cleaner with the vesa
driver - I'll have to check that one out.

This little machine needs some more work and upgrades (better backlash
control.. needs to be refit with some bearings on the interface
between the Screw and the axes) before it works the way I want it to,
but for now it does pretty well.  I'm also thinking of a 4th axis..
but before that happens.. I have to get it working again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Michael