At 09:35 PM 5/22/2010, you wrote:
>On Saturday 22 May 2010, Michael Jones wrote:
>In fact, I have found that even the nv driver makes the latency
>figures suck.
>Not nearly as bad as the nvidia drivers though.  When I first built up my
>micromill, I was not able to get it to move more than 3 or 4 IPM without
>stalls, so on IRC one night someone suggested I try the nv driver, so I
>converted it back to use the nv driver.
>
>It was enough better that I could get it into the teens per minute before the
>stalls started.  And I noticed the motors sounded a little more musical but
>the tones weren't really all that pure.
>
>Someone a few weeks later said I should try the vesa driver, which does limit
>the screen resolution a bit but its usable, and my 20 tpi X and Y tables can
>now run at 25 IPM, which quite pure sounding tones, no raggedness to them at
>all.
>
>The Z was another surprise, as I had excised the original 20 TPI screw that
>ran up the back of the post, in favor of a 10 tpi that by turning the gear
>head 90 degrees, allows clearance past it to grab the Z sled about 2" in
>front of the post where the bolt is anchored solidly and doesn't turn.  With
>a 425 motor on the OEM lashup, the sled was bound on the post and incapable
>of running a bathroom scale past about 5 pounds before the 425 started
>cogging in place.
>
>Now, with the screw in front of the post, and the nuts that drive it sitting
>in bearings located above the post and inline with the bolt, a 17 tooth
>pulley on the 425, and a 42 tooth pulley turning the nuts,  I can run it down
>on the bathroom scales to 155 lbs before the motor starts cogging.  And I
>can, if nothing gets in the way, run the Z axis at 34 IPM if the post is
>relatively clean & lubed with vactra.
>
> >I can't find anything on this, but will the NV drivers actually load
> >some form of OpenGL so axis will run or am I just spinning my wheels?
>
>I don't know as openGL runs with the vesa driver, and I'll let Alex confirm
>or deny that axis needs openGL.  Whatever that answer is, its running the
>machine very well, on a 9 year old video card.  Yes, the video could be
>better, but the machine runs great.
>
> >I don't think I loaded the proprietary Nvidia Drivers last time (I
> >can't be sure, it was a long time ago) and axis ran just fine.
> >
> >Recommendations?
>
>Try the vesa driver, its much kinder to the latency than anything else I have
>ever tried.

Do we have any recommendations for a video card and driver that
doesn't cause problems.  I loaded a machine at work with Ubuntu 10.4
LTS.  I had two ATI cards on hand, a Rage, and a very high end ATI
that had it's own power plugin from the computer's power supply.  I
couldn't get either of them to work worth doo-doo using either the
generic drivers or the so-called "ATI" something or other
drivers.  Screen had dropouts, color weirdness, would flicker
occasionally and other oddness.  Since neither board would work very
well, I ended up with an Nvidia board.  But with the report problems
of Michael and Gene, what other options do we have?

Mark