From what I have gathered 10.4 suffers from similar video problems that
9.10 did.  One issue is that 9.10 and apparently also 10.4 oftentimes
can't access the video screen correctly to determine the screens
capabilities.

If you use the Vesa driver and you know your screen resolution, you can
force the Vesa driver to set the video which apparently gets rid of some
of the screen flickering issues etc.

Another user, and then I found that the D510 intel board with the
onboard intel GMA3150 video had an issue with 9.10 so I wrote up a work
around for the D510 board.   If you are going to use the Vesa driver
perhaps this would be some help.

Go to this page...

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EMC_Ubuntu91

And scroll down to the bottom where it says:  "*Note Relating to "cannot
load the i810 module" error when first booting compiled Kernel:*"

The  "xorg.conf.failsafe"  file is setup to use the Vesa driver..  so
this procedure just sets things up so the vesa driver is used and then
describes how to set the config file so it is optimal for the monitor
you have connected.

This doesn't fix any Linux issue, it is really a work around.

Dave