On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:

Umm, not any more, all the inkjets I've seen are really cheap servo systems
> (battery toy type motors and a linear mylar strip encoder)

Yes, they really cut the cost out of these things. The motors generally
don't have ball bearings, just bushings. The worst kind of  motor to use
with continuous radial loads, but there ya go, that's what they use.

One printer I recently gutted (Canon, I think) had no feedback at all. There
was just a simple DC motor to drive the carriage. They were depending on the
motor moving at constant speed with constant voltage, I guess. No limit
switches, either. Perhaps they monitor motor current to know when it's at
the limit.

> I think homing against a stop is OK with a torque controlled system (move
> slow
> and limit torque when homing) If your encoder has an index then this would
> give an accurate home.

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. My encoder does have an index, but I
don't have torque control. The drive does have a current limit, so maybe I
could use that.

> Of course without limit switches, theres nothing to stop such a system from
> slamming into the stop at full torque with drive or software error..

Yes. I was planning to not have drive or software errors ;-)