On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 20:43 -0500, Chris Radek wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 10:32:50AM +1000, Jake Anderson wrote:
> > We have converted our mill to CNC and EMC2 and all is fairly well.
> > http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?JakeAndRussells

> > Unfortunatly when I change that cruise speed (g1 F200 vs G1 F100 say)
> > the ferror goes up, and I start either leading or lagging the set point.
> > I can tune to hover around 0 error at any given speed, but as the speed
> > changes I start getting error again.
>
> > Any tips?
>
> Yes but beware they're all half-baked.
>
> I see you're using bare H bridges which means you don't have a
> velocity loop.  I think this problem with FF1 is because of that, and
> it is a fairly fundamental problem with a torque-mode setup.
>
> In hand-wavey terms, a full velocity mode servo amp has a commanded
> velocity (output of emc's pid in our case) and actual velocity (from a
> tachometer) and it uses the difference between the two to determine
> the torque/current to apply to the motor.
>
> It seems like you can fake this up by using the mesa encoder's
> velocity output as your pretend velocity feedback.  Use sum2 (one gain
> negative) to calculate the difference between your pid output and your
> velocity feedback.  Pick your scales carefully so everything matches
> up.  Use this resulting difference to drive your pwmgen.
>
> I haven't tried this and the whole idea came out of a late-night chat
> session with Kim K.  Unfortunately I can't find the archive of it.
>
> I'd be thrilled to hear whether this gives you a stable loop and
> whether it tunes up better.  Please do keep notes and report back if
> you try it.
>
> One step more complicated is to have dual pid loops, a torque loop
> inside a velocity.  I'm not sure what you'd use for torque/current
> feedback, though.  Normally that's current sensing in hardware, and
> you have no equivalent that I can see.
>
> Simpler is to leave your pid as-is and try using I instead of FF1.  If
> you can increase your I by a lot and still keep the loop stable,
> you'll get correct following at any (steady) speed.  The tradeoff is
> sloppy settling at speed changes, like at the beginning and ending of
> moves.
>
> Chris

Hi all,

I is not that I know anything about tuning torque mode. Just did one a
few weeks ago. I started out like usual as for a tach/velocity mode
tune. Not the best idea.

Take a look at the parameters used on the Mazak conversion.
~/emc2/emc2-trunk/configs/demo_mazak/demo_mazak.ini or something close
to that.

Those values look pretty radical but it gives you an idea what is needed
for tuning torque mode. Maybe try 1/20th or less of those values and see
what happens. Pretty much you get it going with a reasonable P and then
use I and D get stability and then increase everything in steps to get
decent stiffness and response.

At least on my machine FF(n) didn't do much good and believe me I did
try them.

Linear scales on machines that are not really low in backlash can be a
challenge. I got better results with encoders on the ballscrew.

The mill was a Cinci contourmaster with servos that had, and still does,
about 0.003" backlash.

In terms of tuning, linear glass scales, encoders on the servo motors
then encoders on the ballscrews; encoders on the ballscrews being by far
the easiest to tune. SEM MT30H4s with tachs. for X and Y and a torque
mode amp for the Z.

Hope this helps.

Dave